Government Building

The building was opened in 1843 as an infant orphan asylum by King Leopold of Belgium and later became a school. It was designed by Gilbert Scott and William Boughton Moffatt. The school closed in 1971 and was acquired by the Crown for its present use.

Scope of Works:

​The erection of over £200,000 worth of scaffolding, including full temporary roof protection over 6 Court buildings.

The use of large cranes were required to lift scaffold support beams in position above the Court buildings.

The existing natural Welsh slate roof coverings were removed and sorted to assess whether they could be salvaged for reuse.

A large number of slates could not be used due to the age and friable nature of the existing materials. As a result replacement natural Welsh slates were sourced directly from the quarry.

The lead parapet gutters and bays were beginning to fail and Minerva were instructed under this contract to replace those areas with new coded lead coverings.

​Contract Value: £600,000