St. John's School - Leatherhead

St Johns School was founded in 1851 with a view to provide free education to poor clergymen. Following various high-profile attendees such as Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, the school has undergone vast expansion ensuring the pupils leave St John’s confident, positive, and ready to play a full part in society. There are multiple buildings on the estate which are Grade Listed, including the main dining hall which was restored as part of this project. All works were managed by an architectural practice, traditional hydraulic lime and natural repair methods were implemented to ensure the integrity of the existing listed fabric of the property was maintained at all times.

Scope of Works:

To external areas:

  • Slate and lead roofing repairs

  • Strip out and replace all stepped parapet gutters around the perimeter of the building (Code 8)

  • Cleaning of masonry facades

  • Restoration of masonry

  • Restoration of the existing stained glass windows

  • Replacement rainwater goods including the production of new cast iron hoppers

  • Decoration to RWG’s, cloister under croft ceiling and window framework

  • Structural repairs to cloister arches

  • Access and repair to copper fleche

  • Cleaning and repointing of quad monument

To internal areas:

  • Erect full scaffold access to all elevations including the designed Dias end.

  • Fully redecorate all masonry walls

  • Install new lighting scheme at low level

  • Remove, restore, and reinstate chandeliers

  • Install new fire exit signage

  • Renew ironmongery to external doors